Known for 35 years of English-built high value professional audio processors for live and studio applications, Ivor Drawmer and his crack team of engineers have recently turned their focus to the heart of the studio: monitor controllers. The Drawmer MC2.1 gave engineers the features, conveniences, sound, and value required for today’s working professional. The new Drawmer MC3.1 adds a list of upgraded features for more demanding recording studio environments.
The MC3.1 includes a new 24/192 digital input, a mono sub feed that can tap any of the three monitor pairs with its own on/off, an extensive assignable cue system, an upgraded talkback system with external mic input and foot switch functionality, a new “mix check” facility, and a new monitor level “preset” that assures playback at a specific user defined level at any time. These new features dramatically increase the usefulness of Drawmer’s MC3.1 in a more complex set up.
“I’ve been using monitor controllers from other manufacturers for a long time, both in the studio and (more often for me) while demoing studio monitors,” explains Brad Lunde, founder and President of TransAudio Group, Drawmer’s U.S. distributor. “I found that units below US $1,000 change the sound of the source, change the stereo image, or alter the source signal in some way. Drawmer’s engineering team has figured out a way to get all the essential features into an affordable, yet ‘high-end sound,’ controller that has proven very popular. We use Drawmer MC2.1 monitor controllers to demo $20,000 studio monitor pairs, and that surprises some clients and speaks to Drawmer’s high quality level. The MC3.1 builds on that success with a lot of new features, and yet the unit still comes in at under US $1,000.”
The Drawmer MC3.1’s digital input is AES/SPDIF (24-bit/192kHz). Two stereo XLR analog inputs, one stereo RCA, and one 1/8-inch jack for iPods are controllable from the front of the unit with a separate volume control. The main mix and cue mix can separately select any combination of these inputs. Three separate loudspeaker outputs are similarly selectable in any combination, and a separate subwoofer output can be used in conjunction with any, all, or none of the loudspeaker outputs.
All loudspeaker outputs have separate trim for precise level matching. Talkback features can use an internal or external mic, engaged from the front panel or from a new foot switch 1/4-inch jack. Intuitive and well-thought-out mix-checking functions allow engineers to quickly diagnose problems. Calibration of monitor levels has been addressed as well.
- Ultra low noise and transparent circuit design.
- Source switches for both Main & Cue can be active in any combination. 5 Inputs in Total - 1x Digital AES/SPDIF Neutrik XLR/jack Combi & 2 balanced analogue Neutrik XLR/jack Combi and 1 stereo RCA Analogue on the Rear Panel & 1 3.5mm Front Panel Aux.
- 3x Speakers Plus a Mono Sub can be switched individually & simultaneously or give A/B comparisons. Each has level trims to provide precise channel matching.
- Timed relay protection on all speaker outputs to prevent power up/down bangs.
- Volume can be set via the Variable Front Panel Knob or a Preset Control. Each has paralleled custom quad pots for excellent channel matching and smooth feel.
- 2x Headphone Amplifiers with Individual Level Controls & Switching between Main & Cue Inputs so the Artist can listen to a Different Mix to the Engineer.
- Front Panel 3.5mm AUX Input & Level Control for connecting MP3 player, smartphone or tablet etc.
- Cue Level Control adjusts the volume for the Artist’s Monitors.
- Built In Talkback with Level Control, Internal or External Microphone, Switching via Desktop or Footswitch, a Mono Output Jack & Internal Routing to Headphone and Cue Outputs.
- Comprehensive Mix Checking facilities Including Low, Mid, High Solo; Dim; L/R Mute; Phase Reverse and more, help check every aspect of the Mix.
- Desktop 'wedge' form factor.
- Kensington security slot (also called a K-Slot or Kensington lock).
- Rugged steel chassis and stylish brushed aluminum cover.
The Drawmer MC3.1 is now shipping for US MSRP $999 (MAP $899).
www.drawmer.com | www.transaudiogroup.com