With Apollo Expanded, users of Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin, Apollo DUO, Apollo QUAD, and Apollo 16 audio interfaces can freely combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices — adding I/O and DSP as their studio grows. Apollo Expanded also marks the introduction of Console 2.0 software, giving Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo users dynamic new workflow options, with more than 25 new user-requested features.
Among the key features of the update, the new Flex Driver lets users customize Core Audio I/O — name, save, and share presets for different hardware setups and DAWs - and there is the possibility of distributing a high-quality clock reference signal to all Apollos over Thunderbolt. Another interesting feature is the possibility to use an Apollo Twin for desktop monitor control as well as additional DSP and connectivity, creating a local control center, remotelly connected to further Appolo rack interfaces, behaving as a single system.
The new Console 2.0 is now a high-resolution / Retina-compatible 64-bit software interface for all Thunderbolt-equipped Apollos, with new Channel Strip presets that lets users see, save, and recall UAD plug-in chains in very clever ways, including simple drag & drop. There are new UAD plug-in categories and individual Show/Hide functionalities, as well as preset auditioning.
There are also numerous monitoring improvements, including Alternate Monitors, new Control Room functions, and enhanced headphone cue management. The update also adds per-input Record/Monitor effect switching, as well as multi-level Undo and Redo for plug-in assignments and parameters.
Apollo Expanded is part of the upcoming UAD Software v8.0, which, in addition to Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite compatibility, also adds all-new plug-in categories to the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform. New UAD v8.0 plug-ins include the following:
Sound Machine Wood Works Plug-In — $299
● Lets acoustic guitar piezo pickups sound like a studio-miked acoustic
● Get rich acoustic sounds in noisy environments or when high-quality miking is not possible
● Re-voice the source guitar’s resonance and acoustic properties live or at mixdown
● Freedom to re-mic during mixing, changing and adding microphones as needed
UA Distortion Essentials Plug-In Bundle — $249
● Features the legendary Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808, Raw Distortion (based on the vintage early-80s Pro Co Rat), and Bermuda Triangle (based on the early 70s-era) Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi) plug-ins
● Harnesses Unison technology to precisely emulate the circuit interaction, gain range, and clip points of the original stompboxes
Antares Auto-Tune Live Plug-In — $249
● Realtime pitch correction and manipulation with iconic Auto-Tune effect
● Incredibly low latency for instant response, onstage or in the studio
Friedman Amplifiers Plug-In Collection by Brainworx — $249
● Includes spot-on emulations of the industry-leading Friedman DS40 and Friedman BE100 guitar amplifiers
● Audition 66 different Recording Chains to match the perfect tone to the part
● Fine-tune sounds with an onboard FX Rack that includes a noise gate, EQ filter controls, and host-syncable lo-fi delay
● Developed by Brainworx exclusively for UAD-2 hardware and Apollo Audio Interfaces